Tuesday, June 15, 2010

World Cup 2010 South Africa Kicks Off

It is Here,

The years have passed by and World Cup 2010, South Africa is upon us.
Kicking off on June 11th with the opening ceremony and the first game(South Africa vs Mexico)at Soccer City Stadium in Johannesburg.

Armed with my camera I went off to the Fan Park here in Durban to soak up the atmosphere and take some shots.

The city was abuzz. I have never felt or seen anything like it in my life. One country all behind one event - one spectacle. Of course this is not just an every day spectacle. This is the World Cup.

The 2010 FIFA World Cup is the 19th World Cup, the premier international association football tournament. The final is forecast to be among the most-watched events ever.

At the fan park the vibe was amazing. The feel of the people all bonding. People from different cultures and different backgrounds. Locals amongst foreigners. All interacting in harmony with passion and pride.

I see now why our slogan for this World Cup 2010 is “Ke Nako”. “Celebrate Africa’s Humanity”. "Ke Nako" translates to "It's Time" - thus the basic message in this is; now is the time for Africa to show the world its humanity and reposition itself in the eyes of others - starting here in South Africa.

This is so much more than soccer to South Africa and I am honoured to be a part of this country. I will remember June 11th 2010 forever.

Enjoy the few pictures I have from the day.
June 11th 2010.






No comments:

Post a Comment